On Saturday 25 November 2006 11:41, Cristian Rodriguez wrote:
> >> no, the answer is that PHP4 is obsolete, must not be used.
> >
> > Well, you better start sending emails right now to all those
> > web-hosters who
> > are still offering it. :-)
>
> Well, We are not webhosters, we produce an stable linux distribution,
> and as you can see, those who decide what suse contains, seems to
> agree with me on this topic, that's why since 10.1 there is no ( and
> will not be) PHP4 anymore.

Note the previous postings referring to something called "the real
world". I have clients who still run apps on Win95 platforms because
they a) work and b) they are cheap, i.e. they have paid for themselves
many times over. Requiring a client to fork over money for an upgrade
had better be accompanied by more than a "we don't make that any more"
or you will see their backsides disappearing into the doorway of a
competitor faster than a chicken in Ethiopia.

I have always been amused by the fact that there are so many in the
developer community that I refer to as "brilliant but unstable" (also
"highly educated idiots") for their ability to come up with answers to
questions that clients are not asking. They can design the latest
handheld gadget that will do everything but wipe your ass but can't
understand the first thing about running a business. I guess that's why
there will always be techies and the pointy-haired managers that use
them.

Fred