http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre

>   As to metric system its wholly
> inadequate for construction where there is a fudge factor appropriate to
> an imprecise world where the earth itself is imperfect as is the
> settling of individual structures.  Try baking a cake by metrics you
> will go nuts when it comes time to use eggs which are of various sizes.
> Best to use the older system and good chefs judgement.

?????

What rubbish!  Precision is precision, no matter what system you use.
How does it make a difference whether or not you use the metric system?
I guess the rest of the world can't build houses or bake a cake.  I
don't recall ever seeing a metric or imperial chicken.  Try telling the
French they don't know how to cook.  (Try telling them anything for that
matter.  <g>)

One huge advantage to the metric system is the abandonment of hoary,
arbitrary units in favour of a consistent and logical system.