On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, John wrote:
> Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:
> > Sandy Drobic wrote:
> > Tnx, I am well aware that I am usinf an unsupported version. 'Unfortunately'
> > 9.2 just works mostly the way I want it to. Not having to have the latest
> > and greatest hardware and OS is a strength of Linux. I'll upgrade when I
> > can, and hopefully the recent M$-Novell deal will make a future version that
> > is easier to use/operate without losing the strengths of Linux.
> >
> > Lets see what joy and grief 10.2 brings to the list and maybe I'll upgrade.
> > Cool, just what I was looking for :)
>
> There are plenty of distros for older hardware that ARE supported with updates
> and security patches.
> For example, Xubuntu <http://www.xubuntu.com/>. http://www.xubuntu.com/

I am running SUSE 10.1 on a Pentium III 666 MHz with 128 MB with KDE.  I
have to stop ZMD or remove it.  Stop Beagle and set the system to run
daily/weekly logs at night(when I sleep).  I use smart/yast2.  It works
really well.  I did create a 750 MB swap partition to install.  It took
about 16 hours to install, but after that I run it without any problems.
I have 4-6 xterms, 4 SeaMonkey windows and one Open Office word processor.
It runs really well about 98% of the time.

> I had to wipe SUSE 10.0 off of an old Celeron based PC we have here at home
> cause it was crashing too much with only 128MB (to be fair, SUSE does specify
> 256MB minimum memory). I replaced SuSE with CentOS 4.4 (an open source version
> of Red Hat Enterprise Linux), and rather than accept the default 256MB swap
> partition, I made the swap partition a little over 500MB. (I did not do that
> when I installed SUSE, so a fair comparison cannot be made.)

See above.  I am running without problems.  I installed 10.0.  The main
thing is having a big swat partition to do the installation.  I found
doing a local network install is the best.  I downloaded the entire
distribution tree and did the install.  It did take some time to choose
everything and fix conflicts but after that it went really smoothly and
runs great.  The install is the only real pain.  I boot the system to 6
different OS's.  I mainly run SUSE 10.1 on it.

I have tried on this system 8 other distributions but I prefer SUSE and it
works best for my needs.

--
Boyd Gerber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
ZENEZ   1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047