On 12/1/06, jdd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hans du Plooy a écrit :
> On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 00:07 +0100, jdd wrote:
>> I couldn't open the ext3 partition with XP.
> I was going to ask about that.  What handles when you write to an ext3
> in Windows (obviously mounted as ext2) and then go back to linux?  Does
> it just update the journal?

nothing noticable (may be too fast :-)

jdd

One of the primary purposes of a journal is to make the mounting of a
dirty filesystem happen much faster.

In general, a filesystem journal is flushed empty every time you
cleanly unmount the filesystem.

So Linux can treat an EXT3 filesystem as journaled, but when it is
unmounted it effectively becomes a EXT2 filesystem with an extraneous
empty journal.  I would expect Windows EXT2 drivers to work in pure
EXT2 mode and totally ignore the journal.

Then when Linux mounts it again, it goes back to EXT3 mode and starts
filling up the journal again.  Then flushes it on unmount.

Hopefully if you have power-outage etc. and end up with a "dirty" ext3
filesystem, the Windows EXT2 driver would see that and not attempt to
access the partition until the drive was mounted under linux and the
journal replayed.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer