Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> On 2006-12-06 13:54, Adi Pircalabu wrote:
>> John Andersen wrote:
>>
>>> extreemly late getting out updates to very time sensitive packages
>>> such as SpamAssassin.  These packages are a month old.
>>>
>>> Cpan at most 24 hours old.
>>>
>> 1. What is important for you may not be that important for others
>>
> Having the most recent virus definition files is not important?

Any serious antivirus vendor must have a decent updating procedure for
the most important part: virus definitions and scanning engines. They
are the "core" of every AV solution and do not usually depend on a
specific package version.
I have not seen yet an AV software which forces me to update my entire
installation on a daily basis, for every new virus signature update. I
should be able to update the engines only.

>> 2. Newer does not always mean better/safer/faster. It rather means untested.
>>
> Certainly not in the case of virus definition files.
>>> A generic question: Why would it be so hard for a software updater
>>> package to check for the existance of packages installed by other
>>> means?
>>>
>> Why would you want this mix-up of package & source installed software?
>> Especially, how can a vendor be able to offer support (a generic term
>> for, let's say, software assurance)
>> If a client requires a particular version of some software, so be it,
>> you'll tailor the solution for them. But the stock version should always
>> contain tested software.
>>
> I guess you don't care about your clients missing the occasional new
> virus that is only caught in the virus definition update that was
> released today.

If you're talking about SA here, there is always sa-update(1) to update
the .cf files.

--

Adi Pircalabu