On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Thursday 07 December 2006 09:45, Pete Connolly wrote:
> <snip>
> > Very strange.  Have you tried just doing a smartctl -H /dev/<drive> to
> > check it's health?  Or maybe seeing it capabilities with smartctl -c
> > /dev/<drive>? Just to see if smart can do useful things will it.
>
> Another approach is to check the drive manufacturer's website for downloadable
> diagnostic tools that can be run from a floppy or CD.

I have the problem on the same computer with any one of 4 newly purchased
HD's.  I can move them to the other lappy's and they never fail.  On
yesterday's 6:00-6:30 AM failure I turned off HT support in the BIOS.  I
have not tried it this way.  This has been going on with 10.1 for 6-8
weeks.  When I run the utilites before failure everything works great.
But after the failure when I try to run them the machine just hangs and
the only message it the one posted.  Really strange.

Thanks,

--
Boyd Gerber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
ZENEZ   1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047