Thomas Hertweck wrote:
[Private Mail]

John,

[snip]
setting the reply-to header to the list address and thus disabling any
list-reply vs. private-reply functionality of good MUAs is a very bad
idea. I had to change the address now manually to send you a private
message.

Thunderbird has an extension which provides a list-reply functionality.
See the November archive of this list for details (threads named
"Seamonkey 1.0.6 rpm?" and "Thunderbird reply to list feature"). And
yes, it works very well - I have been using it for quite a long time.

Cheers, Th.

OK, I'll check the Thunderbird add-on but last time I looked it wasn't up to much IIRC.

Surely, however, the whole point of having a list is that not only can the original posters benefit from the wisdom of others but that others who have experienced similar problems can also benefit. Sending a private reply cuts them out. Does it not also mess up the list thread in the archives? If so, then your argument seems, on the face of it, to keep knowledge in restricted access rather than open mode.

Best regards (and no personal malice intended!)

John