>> I have a 1GB tar.gz file sitting on a windows share and have 3 systems
>> connected via samba to that share.
>>
>> System A & B see the file just fine, and both report the same md5sum
>> info.  System C sees the file as corrupt and with a different md5sum.
>>
>> My problem, I need the file on system C and am puzzled about why it sees
>> this file differently than the other two.  All systems are running SuSE
>> 9.3 32-bit, however, system C is an intel core 2 duo 64-bit processor.
>> System A & B are older P3 systems.
>>
>> Has anyone every had anything like this and can offer suggestions as to
>> why this might be happening.
>>
>> Thank you for your time

> Maybe sneaker mail is your answer--copy the file to a disk and sneaker
> it over to the recalcitrant machine. I know this is crude, but it just
> might work.
>
> --doug

Thanks for the reply, but the problem is not getting the file to system
C, but rather it always sees the file as corrupt.  In further testing it
may be a hardware issue.

The first time I ran md5sum on the file (on the share) was:
a72c2c415a81cd7722319004987679f1  backup_ams_1.tar.gz

I rebooted the system, and this time it was:
2a93d60a45712595b6edbbfad5075de3  backup_ams_1.tar.gz

Testing the file with gzip gives this:

gzip -t -v backup_ams_1.tar.gz
backup_ams_1.tar.gz:
gzip: backup_ams_1.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error

gzip: backup_ams_1.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--length error

The other two systems show the file is ok (file still on share)

gzip -t -v backup_ams_1.tar.gz
backup_ams_1.tar.gz:     OK