On 12/08/2006 01:57 AM somebody named Clayton wrote:
> You know... I don't really care one way or the other how the reply-to
> works on this list... and we've thrashed it to death a dozen times per
> year... and the more vocal members of this list all yell and shout
> about how this list is configured correctly yadda yadda... we even had
> a vote, and the majority spoke.  Which is fine with me.
>
> I have a serious question though.  Are there actually any other
> mailing lists that are configured the way the opensuse mailing lists
> are?  I'm currently a member of a couple dozen mailing lists, and not
> one has ever behaved the way this list's reply-to is set.  Not one.
> Not once in roughly 20 years of internet, usenet and BBS use.
>
> So.. can anyone point to any other mailing list that has Reply-to set
> the same as the opensuse lists?  I would really like to see it...
>
> I'm not asking this list to change - it's been like this for as long
> as I can remember, and I don't mind it cuz I'm used to having to
> always correct the To: address field when I reply.  I would just like
> some point of reference... to see other mailing lists that behave the
> same way as ours does.
>
> C.

Clayton,

Very well put.  I've been on mailing lists since before there was linux,
and I've set up and managed dozens of mailing lists, and I'm currently a
member of about 40 lists, and over these decades on these various lists,
*none* of them functioned/functions the way this one does.  (Well, about
a decade ago one of them sent replies to the OP, this was pointed out to
the list management, and it was fixed in a day.)  Advocates of the
nonsensical suse method of list operations have told us and continue to
tell us (tossing in insults along the way) that they're smarter than the
rest of the world and so to change things to a sensible configuration
would be making an admission they can't make.  So this list will never
change and people will never stop pointing out that it should be
changed, users will continue to hear that they need to use some
particular mail client in some singular way to read and reply to this
particular list and that if they don't, they're stupid and all other
lists in the world are stupid too.

So we can't harbor any illusions that way this list (mal)functions will
change.  We're just going to have to live with it and the huge noise
ratio it spawns.  I've adopted a sense of humor about the whole thing.
The so-called "experts" continually provide me a good chuckle.  In fact,
I'm hoping this list continue to operate in its peculiar fashion long
enough for it to make it into a comedy sketch on TV (like one of the
experts using ALL CAPS to make a simple technical misconfiguration, one
he advocates, into a netiquette issue).  Then, when my friends and
acquaintances try to tell me about some hilarious show they saw on TV,
I'll be able to say I was there and, yeah, it was really a hoot.

--
"Peace hath her victories no less renown'd than war."
        --John Milton