Jose wrote:
Can you use passive ftp on the server itself?

No, after I sent las t email, I tried "passive" just after login to the server (turns off passive), and then "epsv" and then it works, I have the firewall of the target server on, and client's firewall is off, and I am able to download the files I need, but I don't think this is a good solution, the target server is actually a Suse10.0 and client is a Suse10.1, don't know if that would be part of the problem.

Hm, I am a bit baffled. What does your vsftpd.conf look like without comments?

This is my configuration (on Suse 9.2):

# egrep -v "^#" /etc/vsftpd.conf
write_enable=YES
dirmessage_enable=YES
ftpd_banner="Welcome to japantest.homelinux.com"
local_enable=YES
local_umask=022
chroot_local_user=YES
chroot_list_enable=YES
chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list
local_max_rate=40200
userlist_enable=YES
userlist_deny=NO
userlist_file=/etc/vsftpd_userlist
user_config_dir=/etc/vsftpd_user_conf
anonymous_enable=NO
anon_world_readable_only=YES
syslog_enable=YES
log_ftp_protocol=YES
xferlog_enable=YES
vsftpd_log_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
xferlog_std_format=YES
session_support=YES
setproctitle_enable=YES
connect_from_port_20=YES
idle_session_timeout=600
pam_service_name=vsftpd

You probably do not want the excessive logging that I enabled. I also do not have anonymous ftp and only allow explicitely listed users in /etc/vsftpd_userlist to log in at all.

Sandy
--
List replies only please!