Dne Monday 11 December 2006 10:50 John Andersen napsal(a):
> Pavel:  How much work would it be to

Not much, please help us:
http://en.opensuse.org/X11:xfce

> get xfce to be one of the standard suse supported desktops
> and perhaps drop one of the older ones not currently under

You cannot do this, because those one are used by SuSE developer ;)

> active development?
>
> Xfce is really nice for low power machines, and machines you
> want to boot really fast.

We are aware of it.

> The problem seems to be that once you install it, you are kind of
> on your own getting the menus to work because its not integrated
> very well into Suse menu maintenance system.  If you install
> a new package, it usually shows up in kde, but seems never
> to appear in xfce.

You are right. XFCE evolved from "guru WM" to "common-userl WM". When new
version 4.4 will move to stable (for 10.3) XFCE will get much more attention.

> Those other guys do support it and they do a pretty good job
> of keeping the menuing systems in sync between kde/xfce.
> (You know, those other guys... that *ubuntu bunch.

No, i do not. I know that menu in 4.2 (version in 10.1 and 10.2) is generated
using script wrote by one of our developers, because xfce 4.2  did no
supported FHS standards. But in 4.4 (for now in BuildService) XFCE support
FHS much better. And menus should be without problems.

--
Pavel Nemec
Software Engineer