My report is #227129.  All you need is the kdm as default desktop manager which
is distinguishable by the userID and password login boxes both being present on
the screen at login.  This ticket has been marked resolved because it is a
duplicate of 221350 and the problem has been around since Beta 2 (I stand
corrected, it has been around for quite a while; doesn't seem to be a
priority). Bug 221350 - remote vnc login does not work with gdm, but it does
with kdm.

I am sure there is a way to install kdm as the default desktop manager without
installing everything in KDE but I don't know how.  When I found the problem, I
tried installing KDE, didn't fix the problem or change to kdm.  Since it was a
fresh install on a new system and VNC was really important to me, I simply
reinstalled fresh with KDE as the desktop; then as soon as I finished install,
I went back in and install the Gnome desktop, all goals were acheived.

Clint