Dave Barton wrote:
On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 11:46 +1100, Dave Barton wrote:
Just installed 10.2 om my test box and all appears to be OK, except that
from a normal boot the KDE GUI does not display. However if I boot in
failsafe mode with all boot options removed (except init 5) the display
works perfectly. Can any one tell me what the difference is between
Failsafe with all options (eg. acpi=off, etc) removed and a normal boot?

OK it appears that this info is not generally known. My searches so far
have turned up zip. Can anyone suggest a possible source of info about
the Failsafe boot mode. Not just the boot options (eg. acpi=off, etc).

TIA

Dave

I experienced a problem like that on a Sun server attached to a Vesa multi-port console, and after searching and checking around, I had to modified the acpi parameter to off from the grub menu, after that, the server would come back perfectly any given time on normal mode.