Stephen Berman wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:16:50 -0800 Randall R Schulz wrote:

>>> No need to guess, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulz
>> I wrote "policeman" first, but then after checking the association with
>> the SS, changed it to "protector." I'm guessing that a common root is
>> involved with all these various meanings.
>
> According to the etymologies I've seen, Schulze is a shortened form of
> Schultheiss, which literally means, roughly, the one who orders debts
> to be collected (Schuld = debt, related to English should).

The office of Schultheiß or Schulze (schout in Dutch) is a lot like that of the
mediaeval sheriff in England.

> Schutz
> derives from a word meaning to contain or damn in (water), related to
> English shut.

That's one meaning, but another one (a lot more common) is that of 'protection'.

("Darf ich Ihnen Schirm und Schutz anbieten?", R.W. Fassbinder, Die Sehnsucht
der Veronika Voss)

Regards,
--
Jos van Kan                registered Linux user #152704