>> I was talking at a level below yast, where there is only modprobe, so
>> I might messed that up.
>
>But have you got the card working, and if so, what exactly did you do ?

In short:
I have a kernel patchset that adds rt2400, rt2500, and others to the
tree (so I have everything in once place - compiling a ton of
out-of-tree modules is just no fun). Then I compiled that tree and
wrapped it up in rpms called kernel-XYZ-2.6.18.5-jen40b.i586.rpm for
example (SUSE-compliant).

So I did not really do something special besides taking
rt2500-1.1.0-b4 (more precisely: CVS snapshot) and compiling it.

[ rt2x00 CVS (aka rt2500pci aka rt2x00-2.0...) did not worked for me for
  long time and I don't use it atm. I anyway only get 5 mbit/s from
  most wireless APs instead of 11 (some fluke number like Ethernet
  has?) so I don't think rt2x00 supporting 54 would help me.
  But even if, I'd rather want a stable driver. ]

        -`J'