On Saturday 16 December 2006 10:37, Jan Karjalainen wrote:
> Anders Norrbring wrote:
> > ByteEnable wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm using OpenSUSE 10.2 and my clock is running too fast.  I turned on
> >> NTP but NTP only works when its first run, then defaults back to the
> >> local clock, which is the clock that is running too fast.
> >>
> >> This is a problem specific to 10.2.  I've had OpenSUSE 10.1, Fedora Core
> >> 5 and 6 on this same hardware without issues.
> >
> > Are you possibly running this in a VMware virtual machine? If you are,
> > add 'clock=pit' into your grub boot parameters. It's a known VMware
> > issue.
>
> I have the same problem with one of my machines, the clock runs way too
> fast.
> I have to run "rcntp restart" every 10 minutes to keep it somehow
> adjusted...

In my experiences ntp deamon adjust the time only if the difference is less
than 3600 seconds. You can see in /var/log/ntp if there is a message like I
had it:

"time correction of -3600 seconds exceeds sanity limit (1000); set clock
manually to the correct UTC time."

My inital "time-problem" with a system clock running way too fast was
discussed here:
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2006-Mar/2932.html

The suggested and helpful solution by Carlos E.R. in
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2006-Mar/3273.html
was:

        setup the clock by your prefered method
        hwclock --systohc
        rm /etc/adjtime

It's important to remove /etc/adjtime after adjusting the time manually. The
system will create a new /etc/adjtime later.

Since I did the above my clock is as perfect as can be.

regards

Danie
Madagascar special: http://www.sanic.ch