On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 02:07 +0100, Thibaut Cousin wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   My computer is an AMD64 3200 MHz (real speed 2000 MHz) running OpenSUSE
> 10.2
> x86_64.
>   Everything is fine, but I noticed a strange detail, I don't know how to
> understand it.
>
>   At first I had a KPowersave icon in the KDE systray. By default, it seemed
> to choose a "Dynamic" management of the CPU. Then, the result of the
> cpufreq-info told me that the processor's frequency was free to vary between
> 1 and 2 GHz, and that it was currently running at 1000 MHz.

It's called "Cool 'n Quiet" and seems to be working like it should :-)
Basically the CPU speed will drop if you need the full capacity, cutting
down on  power consumption, heat emission, and as a result the cpu fan
can slow down or stop completely, so noice is reduced as well.

If you want it to run at full speed, even at idle, you can set your cpu
frequency policy to "Performance" in kpowersave.

But you shouldn't need to.   The CPU responds almost instantly to load
demands (even though the monitoring tools don't), and for the times when
you're just reading your e-mail, a 1000mhz Athlon64 is one heck of a
powerfull chip.   My notebook (1.8GHz Turion64) runs at 800mhz almost
permanently, and really, the only time I really need it to scale up is
when I'm capturing video from my VHS tapes and encoding on-the-fly to
put it on DVD.

>   My final question is: how do I tell my stupid CPU that it's not running on
> laptop, and that it should be at full speed all the time?

Maybe set "active scheme" to performance as well?

Hans