[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> And to sum up once again ( I guess repetitition does nothing for some
> people) DO NOT UPGRADE that way.. create a separate /home area which
> you almost never will have to touch again. And then install every new
> version you get onto a clean drive. It weeds out the [EMAIL PROTECTED] you
> install
> just fooling around.

I can vouch for this advice.  I did this a couple of years ago, and
every update since 9.2 has left my home directory intact and fully
usable.

Just two problems:  first, I took others' advice again to switch from
Reiser to ext3fs, but my home directory is too big to get onto cd's or
dvd's, so I now have a system based on ext3fs except for the /home
directory, which is still Reiser.  I'm digging through the home
directories so I can divide it onto several dvds, but it's going to take
a while.

Second, I keep finding stuff I really don't want to dump, even though I
haven't looked at it in years.  And may never look at again.  So,
converting my home partition over to ext3fs may take a long time, if I
ever done.  I just hope the deep bugs on this list keep talking about in
Reiser don't come to my system.

--

John Perry