On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 10:38:10AM -0600, John Pierce wrote:
> Back about 1998 I was a newbie, I remember my first install and the
> fun I had.  I installed Redhat downloaded and did the rpm install.  I
> got the the log in prompt and logged in as root.  I had no clue how to
> do even a simple directory listing.  I went back to windows and surfed
> the web, i found some documentation about the man command and one
> suggested to type man ls.  Imagine what I learned.

Heh... memories.

Before the www and Linux was around, I had been running FidoNet BBS systems
on DOS and OS/2.  I got laid off from my job and decided I wanted to learn
something completely new (to me), so I decided to install Unix.  A friend
had a set of Esix floppies... 54 1.44MB floppies that made up a basic
install of Everex's brand of AT&T SystemVR4 Unix.

I installed it.  Aside from the fact that it took 18 hours to do from
floppies (and I had to do it three times because of random floppy read
errors), when it was finished and I logged in, all I saw was "$".  X?
GUI? You've gotta be kidding, this was a text mode only install.

Not encouraging.

I had read somewhere that the "ls" command worked like DOS's "dir", and I
had also learned about the "man" command.  But for a while, all I could do
was log in and type "ls", and "man man", "man ls"...

Eventually I learned how to set up uucp networking, downloaded X, compiled it
(what a nightmare!) and got twm running.

My roommate and I set up a lan.  We heard rumors about this thing called
Linux, it would actually boot and run off a single floppy.  I didn't believe
it, so I downloaded it.  It was version 0.98something, IIRC.  It worked!

Along came a distribution... Slackware.  From there things started
progressing nicely, through RedHat, and Mandrake, and a short detour into
FreeBSD.

I am amazed these days when I do something like a SUSE 10.2 install, and
pretty much everything comes up configured and working.

We've come a long way.

--
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is
"God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to

San Francisco, CA