Hi Doc Schröer, response below.

On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 01:46 +0100, "Dr. Klaus Schröer" wrote:
> Dear Al,
> I found your mail in an OpenOffice Forum from where you did not get a
> sufficient answer.
> I had the same problem some weeks ago. This server seemed to block my
> PC, so the only measure was "hard reset", i.e. the power switch.
> But I don't know whether anything dangerous remained from this attack.
> Therefore, I'm very interested whether you got any answer to your question.
> Best regards,
> K. Schröer
>
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:40:06 +0100
> Subject: SUSE 10.2 Repo - ftp.chg.ru - ?
>

> Hi all,
>
> I just installed SUSE 10.2. The Online Update config did not find the
> 'drives' in the URL in Switzerland (TU-Wien) it automatically configured
> at installation. I deleted the Installation resources and entered those
> on the openSUSE site: http://en.opensuse.org/Mirrors_Released_Version
> for the servers nearest to me (Germany). Then it worked.
>
> I started the the Yast Online Update (after running the Online Update
> Configuration) which suddenly went to a source in Russia?
>
> http://ftp.chg.ru/pub/Linux/SuSE/suse/update/10.2?alias=SUSE-Linux-10.2-Updates
>
> Why that? Where did it come from? It wants to update a flash plugin ...
> (which I stopped till I am sure, even if there was a flight of files
> flying through the Online Update Config with some certificates ??...)
>
> Sometime ago such .ru URL's were viewed as risky. Is this source safe?
> On the official Mirror List above, only ftp://christ4you.ru/ is listed
> for Russia.
>
> ?:-/
>
> Al

> Dr. Klaus Schröer
>
> Privat:
> Am Havelufer 15        Fon:    +49-(0)30-36.28.22.36
> 14089 Berlin           e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Doc,

it only happened with one of the 4 systems I installed since then.

I installed the 5+1 CD version, which had the ftp.hosteurope.de/ .. as
installation source. There was no problem then. The one that had the
problem was the i386 DVD version. I still have to try the x86_64 version
in the next few weeks.

I reposted my question on the openSUSE mailing list
(opensuse@opensuse.org) because my post under OpenOffice was an error.
There was a response by Sven Burmeister.

/Quote:
I do not know how the "automatic" source finder works, yet it never
worked for me. Although living in Germany, I never got a German source,
but either the russian you mentioned, or one in Austria. This does not
make sense at all, since my IP clearly points out which mirror would be
the best, i.e. my University's, which is also on that mirror-list but
never gets chosen.

Just forget about that automatism and replace those sources by those
that you know are fastest for you.
:Quote/

No new info at the moment. The thread was then unkindly
redirected/hijacked {by [EMAIL PROTECTED] - Subject: [opensuse]
Sound music only via headphone).

:-) Al

PS: Doc Schröer, I sent the answer to the OpneSUSE mailing list, and a
PM to you so you could find the thread there. Use Strg-L (DE) or Ctrl-L
(UK/US) to respond to the OpenSUSE Mailing list, once you registered
there.

PPS: ralf, what you should have done was to create a new thread, not
just 'click' reply and change the Subject line. No fear, it happened to
me too ...