On Sunday 31 December 2006 10:59, James Knott wrote:
> Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > On Saturday 30 December 2006 22:49, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >> What on Earth is the significance of how "cooperative" a vendor is? Who
> >> needs there cooperation? You look at their hardware. If it's suits your
> >> needs and has support under Linux, you can choose it. If not, you
> >> don't.
> >>
> >> For the life of me, I don't understand this vendetta against ASUS.
> >
> > I had three boards in a row 'smoke' on me when I first installed them.
> >
> > I was able to get replacements each time from the vendor.  And the last
> > of those three was in a complete new chasis that was assembled by the
> > vendor.
> >
> > I finally shipped that back and told the vendor to reassemble it with an
> > Intel MB and I haven't used ASUS since.   At the time I was told that
> > ASUS's quality control sucked and that they would re-ship returned boards
> > without even looking at them.
>
> I'm on my 2nd ASUS mom board.  The first I used for about 4.5 years,
> before upgrading to my current 64 bit ASUS system.  Both have worked
> well with Linux.

        I must be on my 6th or 7th Asus board. Never had a problem with Linux.
Never
had a board fail. Including the one that must be 20 years old and would still
run today if I felt like plugging it in.

        Re-ship??? Asus doesn't deal with customers. By the time a board gets
back to
Asus the dealer would have handled it. The distributor would have handled it.
Both would have checked the board in my expierence. By this point why would
they re-ship a board that has failed two checks? Now your dealer might have
returned the board to you.

        I do remember Nvidia running fast and lose with the video specs and
causing
problems. Not because the Asus board was out of spec but because Nvidia was
counting on the MB to be poorly made and out of spec. But any board maker
that does that is the one causing the problems.

        Nick