Thomas,

On Monday 01 January 2007 08:03, Thomas Hertweck wrote:
> Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > What sort of an application mix do you run?
>
> We develop and run software for seismic data processing on our Linux
> clusters (some 64-bit, some 32-bit). In other words, it's mainly
> number crunching. We saw performance differences of up to 30% on the
> same hardware. We asked Intel about this unexpected behaviour but
> they've not been able to come up with an explanation yet, it's still
> under investigation. I agree with you that Xeon's and Core 2 Duo's
> characteristics might differ, but nevertheless it's an interesting
> observation. Unfortunately, I can't give any more details at the
> moment.

I take it that 30% faster is in 64-bit mode? Is that FORTRAN code?

Anyway, what I need to optimize for my Core 2 Duo system is Java doing
long-running symbolic (non-numeric) algorithms. I'm going to be adding
concurrent processing to the system soon, now that multi-core
processors are becoming common. Fortunately, many of the problems it
runs are amenable to this kind of optimization on multi-core or
multi-processor systems because it decomposes many problems into
independently solvable sub-problems.

I suppose at some point I could try benchmarking the 32/64-bit
variation, but from what I've read and knowing the kind of processing
my code does, I expect the advantage to remain with the 32-bit mode
execution. The only thing that might be an indication for 64-bit mode
is very large problems, but for this application, it's far preferable
to improve the tree-search heuristics to preclude the generation of so
many intermediate nodes rather than trying to accommodate them through
brute force (i.e., more RAM).

> Cheers, Th.

Randall Schulz