On 01/03/2007 Doug McGarrett wrote:
> RE: SuSE 9.3:
>
> I just discovered something I don't understand:  I have a microphone
> connected
> to the machine, and a couple of speakers.  But the mic is activating the
> speakers!  This should not be.  The mic should only be activated when
> something like Skype tells the system to connect the mic to the outgoing
> message.  Skype is vox-operated--when you talk into the mic, the incoming
> audio is cut off, and the mic becomes predominant.  When you stop talking the
> incoming audio rules.  Otherwise, there is feedback, which I noticed the last
> couple of times I tried to use Skype.
>
> When I first tried Skype, it worked perfectly--better than in Windows.  Since
> then, I have not been able to use it, due to considerable break-up.  I
> suspect that I have found the cause, but what is the cure, does anyone know?

I had a very similar problem in 10.0. With the TV card the audio would
stay off till I started Kdetv. When I closed the application the sound
would stay on. The only way I could shut it off was restart my computer.

In 10.1 it seems to work as it should. When I close down the TV app the
audio goes off.

On 01/03/2007 Pavel Nemec wrote:
> As far as i know, this i correct. Mic is activated all the time. This is
> default behavior in Mac OS and also in Windows. Thats why there are switch on
> microphone to swith it of.

I don't think I have ever had a computer mic that had a switch on it.
I've never seen one feed back through the system either.

In any application that used a mic in Windows it has never happened. I
really don't have enough experience with Linux to know for sure.

--
(o:]>*HUGGLES*<[:o)
Billie Walsh