Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I'm planning to buy an ipod and after googling for "linux+ ipod"  I think I'm
> going to use GTKpod.  I have a question though...
>
> Assuming my iPod is already formatted with FAT32, isn't it just a matter of
> mounting the ipod and copy my mp3's to some specific folder on the "mounted
> drive"? Why do I need an app?  I initially thought that the ipod (Nano 2G in
> this case) wasn't perceived as an "USB mass storage device" but I'm confused
> now :(

iPod needs your mp3s stored in a special way (this was created as way to
put a little obstacle to spreading illegal music). You'll learn more
when you'll take a look at the directory structure after you mount it.
That's why you need a special app instead of just copying the files. I
suppose you're a gnome user, so you can use GTKpod, but if you don't
mind installing kde packages, try also amaroK.

cheers,

jano