Hello community, hello Svend

Svend Tollak Munkejord wrote/schrieb:

> On 2007-01-05, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> in kde, right click on the device and look for a tab with options,
>> some are faster (but less secure, don't remove the usb device too fast)
>
> Thanks for the tip. Using Konqueror, I unchecked the options
> "Synchronous" and "Acces time updates". That helped; now the copy-to
> speed is as fast as the copy-from speed.
>
> What do these options actually do? Are they not safe to use as long as
> I use the "safely remove" function before unplugging the USB disk?

Look for the description of the options "async"/"sync" and
"noatime"/"atime" while issueing "man mount"

A coarse explanation: With the "sync"-option each block is forced to be
written to the drive as soon as possible. This takes some time. With
"async" the buffer gets written in larger chunks. A problem could be if
one disconnects the drive to early. In this case the file system could
be corrupted because not all data are written to the drive.
--
Never give up !

Best regards / Gruß, Reinhard.

"Software is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."