Hi,

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 21:50:19 +0100 (CET)
"Carlos E. R." <.> wrote:

> The Wednesday 2007-01-03 at 15:06 -0500, James Knott wrote:
>
> > > The only point we are missing here is to know how to get the name of
> > > the "active" provider smpppd is using, somehow via the command line.
> >
> > Does it have to be the name of the provider?  Why not use the IP info from
> > ifconfig?
>
> The IP is given as a parameter to the script, no need to search for it -
> or it should, at least. It is done for ip-up.local, dunno for if-up.d/

Thanks for both of you for the ideas! Generally my naive idea was
to extract somehow the _name_ of the provider and personally I didn't
think about to use the IPs. To be honest I have even no idea, if
my friend uses few free providers, how different their IPs are...
e.g. earlier I had Hungarian freemail and freeweb dial-up and there
was time when they used the same range of dynamic IPs, but the first
supposed to provide exclusively SMTP/POP access and the later one
"only" internet...

I think the best will be to wait until I travel back to Budapest to
have a look on his settings personally.

Thank you,
Pelibali