Lennart Börjeson wrote:
onsdag 10 januari 2007 14:36 skrev Jan Karjalainen:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
AFAIK, mac addresses are persistent, they don't change on reboots.

So if I run "ifconfig eth0 down hw ether 01:02:03:04:05:06 && eth0 up"
it remembers this after a reboot?
Won´t work on my machine (openSUSE 10.2)...

No, it means they never change at all... :-)

As some other poster noted, it is by no means sure that your particular interface can change its mac address at all. By design, mac addresses are intended to by fixed, unique, and permanent.

Some cards have the ability to change its mac address or to accept a second, "soft", mac address settable at run-time. YMMV.

Just to make it clear: my nic supports the changing of mac address.
Running "ifconfig eth0 down hw ether 01:02:03:04:05:06 && eth0 up" manually does work. As it reverts to the hard coded mac address after a reboot, I have to do this every time. So I´m looking for a setting somewhere where I can set the mac address to whatever I want during boot.

/JK

--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. Van De Snepscheut --