Randall R Schulz wrote:

> The only thing you can say for sure is that whenever the system's
> overall working set size exceeds the available RAM, you'll be thrashing
> (if swap space is available at all). And if the total RAM required
> exceeds available physical RAM plus swap, then the unlucky process that
> tries to exceed that limit will simply not be able to get the RAM
> allocation it requests. If it cannot explicitly handle that condition,
> it will be terminated.

...By the way, all this discussion has been about swap _files_, which
for a long time were not possible under linux.  Until fairly recently,
swapping had to be to and from partitions.  I set my linux systems up
that way, and never bothered to look at swap files at all after they
became available.

Are there any advantages to one arrangement over the other?  It seems
there would be some advantage to having the possibility of building a
new swap file if you're short on swap space.

Not that I expect to ever have the issue.  I have a 2G partition which
has never had more than a couple of hundred MB in use, and that only
because I keep several large programs running all the time so I don't
have to wait for them to start up.

--

John Perry