On Wednesday 10 January 2007 13:08, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> > So, what do I need to do to duplicate the automount function
> > that works so well in 9.1?
>
> It works different.
>
> If you use gnome or kde, it works. I mean, both environment
> handle automount themselves, somehow. This means that you
> should _not_ have any line in the /etc/fstab refering the dvd
> drive.

I don't.

> If you don't use either gnome or kde, then the drives will
> simply not mount, unless you modify things.

But I AM running KDE, the version that came with Suse 10.2

> You may use traditional manual mount, adding the clasic line
> to the fstab.

How can one mount a drive with no media? Unless you use automount
or its equivalent?

> Only if you want automatic mounting and you do not use either
> KDE or Gnome, then install and configure ivman.

OK, got that. But again, I am running KDE and no DVD drive
magically appears and I don't know ivman from squat.

> However, in all cases, you should have the corresponding
> device /dev/hdc or whatever, if there is a drive - regardless
> of it status, I think. If there isn't, that's what you have to
> solve first.

# ls -l /dev/hdc gives:
brw-rw----+ 1 root disk 22, 0 2007-01-10 03:02 /dev/hdc

I start oKle, click on File, Open disk and I get:
/media/dvd exists but is not a file or symlink!

which, I presume, means that the directory is there but nothing
is mounted, which it isn't.

If KDE is supposed to "handle automount themselves, somehow" and
it obviously isn't working, how do I make it work?

Fred