On Saturday 13 January 2007 10:58, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> I run a Dell Inspiron 8600 under SuSE 10.2 and KDE.  I find that when I
> plug a headphone into the computer, sound still comes out through the
> speakers.  Where can I turn off sound except to the headphones/
> --

There is a lot of that going around lately.  The problem comes
and goes (I also have the same problem occasionally on my
Dell 9400).

Someone suggested installing the alsagui mixer, which I did
but I am not convinced it fixed the problem, as some alsa patches
came thru ZMD in the same session, and the next day
the machine was working fine.

I think its the lame chipset dell uses. Mine has some
Intel High Definition Audio, which has fewer controls
that I can manipulate than my 4 year old Sony laptop.

--
John Andersen