Hello guys!

I think you missed my points.

On 1/14/07, Mathias Homann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Am Sonntag, 14. Januar 2007 13:17 schrieb HG:

> Current 10.2 is probably the best so far (although the software
> management / update systems still do not work as well as they did
> for example in 9.3. - well, at least for me they do not work).

Must be your fault. I have four systems running suse, one with 10.0

Obviously my fault! Great attitude! I installed 10.2 by just selecting
all default settings in the installer. You know, next/yes and so on.
And I'm getting "./media.1/directory.yast not found on media"
notifications... Must be my fault.

"somehow"? I think multimedia on suse+packman+guru works even better
than on a windows box.

Somehow = my dad getting SUSE, he would not have the faintest idea
about Guru or Packman, or how to add those so that everything finally
works. This means, at home, SUSE doesn't cut it. Yeah, would if you
are nerd (like me).
> work). Basic office is there (although, the OO in 10.2 can not open
> word docs as well as the OO in 10.0 did...).

ok, you might even have a point here, since I dont have complicated
office documents, I can't really talk here.

Not even complicated. Just basic doc with different level headings
that are formatted completely wrong.

> But it's still far behind WindowsXP and OS X.

IMO it's the other way around. There are hundreds of things that i can
do in suse linux with just a click of the mouse or a short command in
a shell window that i wouldn't even know how to approach on xp or mac
os. ...ok, on mac os it might be easier than on xp, since mac os has
bash ;)

But you are nerd, and by above comments you actually confirm my point.
SUSE does not have future at home. My point was that the technology is
there to make SUSE have a great role at home (the home server), but
it's lacking the user friendliness to do that. Yes, it's got bash. But
that is exactly the thing why it wont make it. (Yes, OS X has bash,
but it's not called easy because of that.)

> And as Vista is  coming, it'll be further again. And what Vista
> brings on is DRM. Of course, in short time, OS X will have the same
> protected hardware paths for HD Video. Linux will not. Yes, I hate
> the DRM things! And  I love Linux for not having them. But this is
> one more reason why SUSE will not make it to the general desktop at
> home.

Any proof for that? Right now, it looks like DRM might actually hinder
vista... I don't have the link handy right now but there was a report
on the web maybe a week ago where it said that especially those
"protected hardware paths" that will make vista a pain, even more so
than the need to re-activate XP after your third graphics card...

I've read the same thing. But that "study" will not change everything.
The world will run Vista soon. All new home computers will come with
Vista. Yes, we all loose. But that's just the way it goes.

> - Samba and Linux passwd synchronization... How do you setup Samba
> in SUSE? Well, you open up YaST and start up Samba server. How do
> you give you children access there? Well from YaST you create new
> users. And then comes the catch - they can not access any
> smb-shares. And no, you can not fix it from the YaST - even though
> you could do everything else from there. You have to go down to
> command line. And then teach everybody that you have these 2
> different passwords to use.

you _can_ do that in yast.
hint: ldap.

Yes and bash, man & Google. Sure.
In YaST, there seems to be LDAP client and LDAP Browser. Browser could
not contact the LDAP server. Didn't do anything good. In windows,
since NT (don't know about 95/98 line...) it's always been very
simple. You you share a directory, who ever has user rights to that
directory can connect to it through net. If I make linux the domain
controller. Then at least the linux passwd is updated when the users
update their windows passwd using windows (through Samba).

This all just proves that there is great technology but very poor UI
for all this. YaST really is what differentiates SUSE from all other
distributions. But YaST is not developed. There has not been real
changes to it since 9.0. There are other examples also, for instance
the Firewall. It is so limited that you can not use it to do anything
more complicated than to open ports 22 and 80. Yet, there are many
firewalls out there that have good UI's proving that it's not
possible. Why not just copy their designs.

This is getting off topic, the point was - and still is - that there
is a growing need for home or small home office servers. SUSE could
provide that, but it needs a lot of work in terms of usability.
Microsoft has already seen this demand. It's only a matter of time
when Ubuntu releases user friendly home server (if they haven't
already). SUSE has the technology (and possibility to do create much
better home server than Microsoft), but it's only possible for
übergeeks. Somebody, with good knowledge (leaves me out), could at
least create a Wiki that shows all the steps to do to get a reliable
headless file server for home.

--
HG.