Just wanted to provide an update on my problem for those in similar
circumstances.

I could not install SuSE 10.2 on my Compaq Presario SR2020NX unless I turned
ACPI support in the kernel off. After getting it installed, I found that I
could not get the onboard ethernet to work. I tried disabling the onboard
ethernet and putting in another ethernet card. That also did not work. It
seems as though nothing on the PCI bus works. I believe this problem may have
something to do with the way ACPI interacts with the APIC. I am aware that
on most motherboards of the type in this particular computer, there is a BIOS
option to turn the ACPI control of the APIC off
(http://www.suseforums.net/lofiversion/index.php/t29305.html). I have been
unable to find such an option on my computer. I think this problem may be
fixable with the use of kernel parameters. I may also try OpenSolaris or
FreeBSD, to see whether or not I get the same problem with those operating
systems.

Richard Hollos