Rikard Johnels wrote:
> I had my fileserver on a reboot, and the clients mounting extra areas via NFS
> lost track of the mounts.
>
> As i try to remount i get:
>
> mount /mnt/network/server/sda
> mount: Stale NFS file handle
>
> Where can i see the handles, and how can i reset them?

The simplest answer is to reboot any clients where this has occurred.

If you don't want to do that, you'll need to unmount each stale handle
before you can remount it:

  umount /mnt/network/server/sda
  mount /mnt/network/server/sda

Sometimes the umount doesn't work because something is using the NFS
filesystem. In that case you need to stop whatever processes are using
the mounts. You can usually find running programs that are using files
easily enough (lsof etc). It's easy to overlook a terminal shell window
that happens to have its current directory inside the filesystem (so
type cd / in any questionable shells).

If you have active processes using the filesystem and you don't want to
kill them, things are more complicated. I've sometimes managed by using
the force and lazy options to umount, but I don't remember the exact
incantations, and it will depend on exactly what the processes are doing.

I'm sure there are more professional ways to do it, but that's how I do
it :)

Cheers, Dave