On Tuesday 23 January 2007 17:07, Greg Wallace wrote:
> >Thanks,
> >Greg Wallace
>
> I've been doing some googling on this and I'm still a bit confused.  When
> you choose, for example, "Use This Mac Address", if that's not the mac
> address that the modem picked earlier (from, say, a different router) will
> it be accepted, or wouldn't you still have to re-boot the modem to get it to
> use that new address?  Or am I still not understanding this process?

First before you worry about this  make sure your cable provider actually
imposes a requirement to use a specific mac address.  If they don't,
and you never remember giving them a mac address before then just
don't worry about it.

If for some reason you must provide a mac address, turn over your old
router and read the mac address off the bottom and key it in and select
use THIS mac address, which means the netgear is to pretend its mac
address was what you keyed in rather than what is burned in silicon inside.

Really, this is very seldom necessary, unless you had a static IP or something.

--
John Andersen