On Jan 24, 07 15:20:08 -0500, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> I know the "w" in the file means Windows.  Is there a plugin that will let
> Linuxers display these files?  (Kaffeine comes up and says "no way.")
> If there is, how do I find it and install it?  These are from friends, so I
> don't think they are knowingly diseased.

.wmv is just a container format (actually it's ASF with a new extension
name, nothing more). Both xine and mplayer know them for a long time
now. Kaffeine is just another frontend to xine.

What you're probably stumbling over is the video codec. In wmv files,
it's typically VC-1 (former WM3, which is somtimes also called Windows
Media 9) format. w32codecs is the correct package to use right now. Only
works on i386, though.

mplayer has native support for VC-1 in SVN, but I don't know whether
packman has updated packages already.

> An aside:  if they were diseased, i.e., infected with something that would
> be a problem in Windows, would it affect my Linux system?  I

There probably are buffer overflow issues that are not yet found. I
wouldn't be too concerned at the moment, though, all infected files are
infected for Windows ATM, and all offsets into the players are different
on Linux, so even if there is an exploit it won't work.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          [EMAIL PROTECTED]