On Thursday, January 25, 2007 @ 5:46 AM, Billie Erin Walsh wrote:

> [...]
more.

>I'm just shooting in the dark here, but....................

>When you "clone the MAC Address" what are you actually doing?

I thought I had all of this stuff figured out, but now I'm not so sure.
However, that being said, I think that simply means you're taking the mac
address of some other device and pretending to be that device.  My router
has place where I can select this option and, if I do, it opens up a box
that has a mac address already in it, which I assume is the mac address of
the router.  If I wanted to, I could simply key in my computer's mac address
and, in effect, pretend to be the computer.  If your ISP has only authorized
your computer's mac address, this would let the router step in between the
computer and the ISP and the ISP wouldn't know the difference, since you
have "cloned" the mac address of the computer, which is what the ISP (modem)
is expecting.  I probably have this all wrong, but I think that's the idea.

>Our home network is connected to his network through a modem [ and a
>radio transceiver ]. Does the "cloning", for lack of better term, "sync"
>our network to his?  If it does, wouldn't that give you a better [
>faster ] connection?

>As I said before, I don't know what it does, but it worked. We have told
>some other friends to do the same thing and it helped them also.

Greg Wallace