On Friday 26 January 2007 18:56, James Knott wrote:
> The problem is that someone will pass that on as a "fix".  Next, people
> who don't know what they're doing will attempt to "fix" something and in
> the process, may create more problems.  I have seen this sort of thing
> happen over the many years I have been providing support.  It sometimes
> takes a fair bit of effort to show someone that what they "know" is in
> fact wrong.  It's better to stop that sort of nonsense, than to allow it
> to continue.  I can just imagine someone now calling their ISP,
> complaining that their service is still slow, even though they've
> changed the MAC.  It happens!

Point taken. What I was really reacting to was comments like "I suggest you
speak to someone who might actually know something", which - I still maintain
- clearly missed the point of this whole thread, not to mention being fairly
insulting to this person when we don't even know what was said (other than
that it produced a good result)