I have been using opensuse 10.2 with gnome for a while now pretty
successfully.  I turned on the 3d effects and they worked well, but I
was having problems as I switched between SCPM profiles.

Decided to clean it up today.  Turned off scpm profile control of
xorg.conf, the source of the problem.  Then decided to uncheck one of
the optional 3d effects in the Gnome Control Center (I think it was
transparent windows during move) and I lost my windows manager.  No
problem.  Killed the Xserver and guess what -- its gone for sure.

I am not sure where the window manager gets called or even what the
windows manager is now.  gconf-editor says the key Desktop|Gnome|
Applications|window_manager is deprecated.

I am not sure where to go.

Can someone help please?
--
Jim McKean
Director of Information Services

Desktop|Gnome|Applications|window_manager says it is deprecated.