Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Sat January 27 2007 12:28, Robert Lewis wrote:
>
>> This morning when I got up the orb was missing in the panel.
>> I then looked with YaST to see if my installaton sources were
>> still intact and they were.
>>
>> A reboot brought the orb back.
>>
>> When I click on it a popup appears and says that
>> zmd is not running.  Hovering over it says there are
>> no software updates available.
>>

> Hi Bob,
>
> This happened to me in the last day or so, I /think/ because an update to the
> updater system was applied the night before. I got it working again, as
> follows:
>
> -> right-clicked the "orb" and quit it
> -> opened a shell and su'd to root
> -> ran an 'rczmd status' (returned "dead")
> -> ran 'rczmd restart'
> -> ran an 'rczmd status' (returned "running")
> -> launched the "orb" again from the menu via "System > Configuration >
> Update
> Software"
>
> I think I had to repeat this sequence twice, for unknown reasons, for it
> to 'stick' in running mode.
>
> hth & regards,
>
> Carl

Thanks Carl, that did the trick although slight  differences in the
results.
Here is what my screen looked like.
# rczmd status
Checking for ZENworks Management Daemon:
running
# rczmd restart
Shutting down ZENworks Management Daemon                              done
Starting ZENworks Management Daemon                                   done
# rczmd status
Checking for ZENworks Management Daemon:
running
 # rczmd restart
Shutting down ZENworks Management Daemon                              failed
                                                                      done
# rczmd status
Checking for ZENworks Management Daemon:
running
# rczmd restart
Shutting down ZENworks Management Daemon                              failed
                                                                      done
At this point I went ahead and did:

System > Configuration > Update Software" as you suggested.
That brought on the ORB and allowed the success of the following.
The ORB offered 10-new updates which included zypper.