On Saturday 27 January 2007 13:06, John Pierce wrote:
> Hello, this is probably not the best place to ask, but I will anyway.
> My son is running opensuse 10.2 on his computer, he lives in indiana
> and just got dsl.  They gave him the following modem and left him with
> no manual.
>
> Make:  Next Level Communications
> Model #:  E2012
        You might be overcomplicating things a bit...

        ... Plug his computer into the modem using the RJ45 connector... from
his
network interfact card (nic) to the dsl modem... and then configure the nic
in linux as a lan connection getting the address automatically from dhcp.
Reset the modem and boot the linux box... the linux box will get an ip
address from the dsl modem and you'll be up...  you shouldn't need to
configure the modem at all.

        When my daughter went through this the service guy was no help, and
insisted
that she connect to a windoze box with the usb cable.  (her modem supports
both methods)   I took her an RJ45 cat V cable and had her connected in about
three minutes.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><