On Wednesday 31 January 2007 22:23, M Harris wrote:
> On Thursday 01 February 2007 00:02, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> > The problem are the software patents in the first place. Many of them
> > are so vague that they apply to lots of pieces of software that have
> > been written by people who never saw those patents and started from
> > scratch.
>
>       Which is *why* many of us are pontificating, "SOFTWARE PATENTS ARE
> EVIL".
>
>       Depends on our definition of "obvious". If I start from scratch and
> write
> an algorithm capable of decoding an mp3 file I have done *nothing*
> different that writing an algorithm (text editor) that can decode a series
> of symbols (text) for displaying on a screen.  One is called obvious and
> the other is called patentable... hogwash. The mp3 standard should not have
> a patent, nor should there be any licensing issues with *any* software
> based mp3 player.
>
>       Software patents must die... end of story. (We have to change this
> folks)

I just wrote another letter to my congressman and my two senators.

I was thinking on the way into work - I knew a guy who had a patent on a tool
used for fixing IBM Selectric I typewriters. He invented it in the '60s and
IBM licenced it from him for the better part of a decade. It didn't make him
rich, but he got credit for inventing it and was able to show the device when
requested.

Now - somebody please show me the MP3 algorithm. I'd like to hold it up and
take a look at it....

...I'm waiting.

In any case - for the future of SUSE/Novell (and Red Hat, Mandrake, Yellow
Dog, Ubuntu and the others), I hope this issue eventually gets resolved.
--
kai

Free Compean and Ramos
http://www.perfectreign.com/?q=node/46