On Jan 26, 07 15:54:27 -0800, Linda Walsh wrote:
> >With PAE, this is a different story. Never had any Intel chip with
> >hardware PAE support (only Xenon processors had that), and the software
> >version of the P4 was too slow for me.
> ----
>       Software version of P4?  Haven't heard of that.

No, PAE support is "software" (actually micro code) on P4, and only
supported in hardware on Xeon. To the best of my knowledge. I think on
Xeons it was with the P3 core already.

> >This should work. But you will need several packages from the very
> >begining (module loading etc.) and the initial ramdisk has to be adapted
> >as well.
> ---
>       Hmm....maybe I should just try making a kernel that doesn't need
> a ramdisk and has all needed modules compiled in.  Will keep that in mind
> though...thanks for the heads up!

That's definitely an option. Still you might run into - err - surprising
issues :-]

>       Guess I need to go experiment^Wplay^Wresearch some more ... :-)...

Good luck!

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          [EMAIL PROTECTED]