Jan,

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 14:49, Jan Karjalainen wrote:
> Brian Jackson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 07 February 2007 14:38, Jan Karjalainen wrote:
> >> I'd like to go through a file and find all the lines with the word
> >> "LOG" in them.
> >> How do I do that? Like "^(*[LOG]*)$" or what...?
> >
> > grep LOG [filename]
> >
> > I think you're trying to make this more complicated than it is.
> > Now if you want LOG to be a word by itself, then:
> >
> > grep ' LOG ' [filename]
> >
> > Of if it can be at the beginning or end of a line...
> >
> > grep '\bLOG\b' [filename]

I usually just use the "-w" option when I want to find the pattern only
as a full word (i.e., be bounded on each end by either a line beginning
or end or by a non-alphanumeric character).

% grep --help
  -w, --word-regexp         force PATTERN to match only whole words

Of course, the "\b" (and it's close relative, \B) is more flexible,
giving you the ability to place the pattern at a word boundary on one
end and not the other.

> > good luck,
> > brian
>
> Thanks for the tip, but I knew about grep already.
> It's because of an application that has a search and replace function
> which supports regular expressions...

Are you saying you need not simply to find the lines that contain "LOG"
but also to apply some modification to such lines? Then you'll
want "sed" or "awk" or possibly to use Perl.

Can you clarify what you need to accomplish? Based on your original
question, Brian's answer seems correct and appropriate.

> /J

Randall Schulz