Jose wrote:
> Hi Gents/Ladies,
>
> I have a rather silly question, I have been reading about the
> differences between the server and desktop editions, among different
> distros, as per Suse, I find that whatever I need to install for
> server apps I can find it on the 10.2 distro, without having to go for
> the server edition. Aside of the support, what other difference exists
> between the free 10.2 and the enterprise server edition on Suse?
Only the enterprise (SLED,SLES) is currently separated into "server" and
"desktop" versions - no such distinction exists for OpenSuSE, though at
one time, there were SuSE "personal" and "professional" editions.

So, 10.2 *is* a server edition. and a desktop edition. It's all of the
above, and works just as well on a laptop as on a headless server in the
data center. It's just not as thoroughly QA'd, and comes with fewer and
less stringent guarantees. So if you have local linux talent, OpenSuSE
is a great way to go, but if you need that official support, go with SLES.

Either one could be the right choice, depending on the type of
environment and requirements - I personally use OpenSuSE for my own
consulting servers and all the system on my home network, and have been
very happy with it.

Joe