James,

You can unchecked slicing and it will produce a single file or select
custom and it will slice it in anything you want. The only reason of
slicing is to be able to fit into dvd. The 4.7 number is more virtual
than real. udf will allow you to use slices > 2Gb (B was comparing it
with the iso)but it will not increase the size of the dvd ;-)
The 4.7 is total manufactures disk capacity in decimal notation. When
you use binary notation, you include the logical format (udf etc) and
any error management system you can loose easily 0.5 GB. In summary
manufactures total capacity do not express YOUR data capacity.
Furthermore total capacity also varies according the quality of the
media.
So your alternatives include : double density media, lan storage or tape
which is what I use for backups.

Ciao

-=terry(Denver)=-