On Monday 12 February 2007 12:21, Clayton wrote:
> > ok, for install I had three reboots, then for OpenOffice, Gimp,
> > wireshark, cygwin and anthing else. I cannot recall any one reboot.
>
> OK, fine, but you're using opensource apps.. try some commercial apps.
>  They LOVE rebooting after an install.
>
> > So we are lucky to boot only once per day, we Linux users, aren't we?
>
> I boot my Linux computer... ummm.. I forget... when I install a new
> version, and once it's working (ie video drivers updated/installed) I
> can go months without restarting.  My Linux computer runs 24x7.  Teh
> windows machines i use usually can't go a full week without needing a
> restart for some silly reason or another.

I have two XP machines that can run for a month or so without a reboot.
Eventually though, things start to get screwed up (Without installing any
additional software).  I believe that Microsoft's memory management does not
properly clean up after itself.  My Linux installs, once fully installed do
not need a reboot.  It drives me nuts when I have to reboot Windows just to
have an application complete it's install and be useable.  This can sometimes
(though not always) be circumvented by registering the DLLs via the regsrv32
command, but that can be a PITA.

- James W.