On Monday 12 February 2007 11:48, Bryan Tyson wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 19:13 -0800, J Sloan wrote:
> > all systems here are running better than any
> > previous release of linux I've tried.
>
> I think it runs just fine. I have no complaints about how it runs. My
> objection is that to install one measly package takes so long I have to
> go away and do something else while it scans the repositories.

Just for clarity, in 10.2 you can choose from several package management
systems.  Under YaST->Software Management->Patterns both

Enterprise Software Management (ZENworks Linux Management)
and
openSUSE Software Management

are available.    The first one is essentially the same as from 10.1 and I
agree with you it is still ridiculously slow.

However I've found the openSUSE Software Management choice works quite well
and is *much* faster than ZEN and friends.

> How do you set it up so that packages can be installed in a normal length of
> time?

I don't know what you consider a normal length of time, but I just fired up
YaST -> Software management and it took 36 seconds to scan the repositories
and bring up the installation screen (I have 5 listed, one set to refresh). I
imagine there is still room for improvement here, but this is by no means a
showstopper for me.

> And why does it not come that way by default?

Unfortunately the installation defaults to the Enterprise version.  From your
complaints it sounds like you went with the default.  (correct?)

I know you've said you've gotten rid of 10.2 for these reasons, but if you
like it otherwise, you might to try it again, and avoid ZEN and company.

--
Don