On Sunday 18 February 2007, Sunny wrote:
> To join some noise to the OT :)
>
> I just installed Google Earth on my 10.0 x86_64. After I start it, it
> displays the splash screen and hangs there forever, getting 95% CPU.
> Any ideas what may be wrong?
>
> --
> Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Sunny:  (and other long suffering ATI card users....)

I found this info by lots of digging through the google earth groups.

Apparently the ATI drivers after version 8.27 broke some linkage in libGL.so.1
which is part of the package shipped from ATI.

The workaround is to get an old version of that module and place it directly
in your google-earth directory.  Do not replace the existing file everywhere,
just ADD it to your google earth directory (its not normally there).

Here is the link to the original post, and it in turn contains a link to
the actual file you need to download, rename, and save as specified.
http://groups.google.com/group/earth-linux/msg/648d2419178a7f79

This worked for me on a Dell machine with an X1400 ATI card.

--
John Andersen