The Monday 2007-02-19 at 18:19 -0500, Dan Winship wrote:

> Actually, following up on that question, I'd love some slightly more
> detailed information about how people use this feature:

Ok!  :-)

>       * Do you save your session once, and then resume that same session
>         over and over again, or do you prefer to save your session on
>         every logout, and always resume the previous session on your
>         next login. Or do you use save-session-on-logout sometimes, but
>         not always? Or do you never use the functionality at all?

I save once, then use those settings without change from then on; or I may
want something new to save, and I will repeat the procedure.

For this I prefer to save at a precise moment in time by clicking
somewhere, not necessarily on logout. I saved on logout simply because I
did not know how to save when I really wanted to. I do not want to
automatically save on logout unless I say so.

>       * Exactly what sort of "state" are you trying to get it to save
>         and restore between sessions? Open applications? Open documents?
>         Window positions? Something else?

Open applications, window positions, and which workspace, mostly. I do not
want OOo to remember opened files, thankyou ;-) , but I do want gnome
terminal to remember what tabs it has opened, the path, and the command
running, if any - and it does.

Let me see... no, that's not exact. I start a gnome-terminal with this
command:

gnome-terminal \
  --tab-with-profile=small --title="Uno"       --command "bash"   \
  --tab-with-profile=small --title=mail        --command "tailf /var/log/mail"
  \
  --tab-with-profile=small --title=mail.debug  --command "tailf
/var/log/mail.debug"   \

It works, and if session is saved, it remember that status fine. No
complains :-)

I think that what data is saved for each application I think can be left
for each app to decide.

I might want to decide when and whether I want the panels to be saved,
because I have no control on that, AFAIK.

>       * Does it work? Or are you thwarted by bugs?

I think it works fine in 10.2 - with the exception I asked about in this
thread, that it did not offer to save on logout.

>       * Are there any other programs/scripts/hacks you use in connection
>         with this functionality to make it work better? (And if so, what
>         exactly do they do, what happens when you don't use them, etc?)

The script I use to open that terminal as mentioned above.

>       * Have you looked at / used the "Startup Programs" pane of the
>         Sessions capplet? Does that seem like a better or worse way to
>         set up your default session? Why?

No.
I'm just barely aware of its existence, and I see it as complementary: it
is not the same thing, I don't see how to save window positions, for
instance.

>       * Do you have any ideas on how we could present this functionality
>         that would work better for you than the way it is now?

Having a menu or something to "save session now", perhaps in the control
panel, inside the session applet - no, hold on, it would restart the
control panel. It has to be a menu entry somewhere.

And having the question posed on exit as a click box - which has
disappeared.

- --
Cheers,
       Carlos E. R.