Hi guys,

We're running Suse 9 and unfortunately there's a machine that is to be placed behind a DMZ so we need to enable NFS through the DMZ firewall. I did a bit of research and figured out these steps to ensure that NFS uses fixed ports. I just wanted to check that this was okay:

 1. nfsd - defaults to 2049
 2. portmapper - defaults to 111
 3. mountd - edit /etc/sysconfig/nfs to include line
      MOUNTD_PORT=4002
 4. lockd/statd - edit /etc/modules.conf to include line
      options lockd nlm_udpport=4004 nlm_tcpport=4004
 5. Restart nfsserver service
 6. Run modprobe?

Are there any dangers in forcing mountd and lockd to use fixed ports all the time?

Also, are there any 'standards' for fixed nfs ports? Various websites have different ideas. I eventually settled on suggested ports in a RHCE course book.

Finally, sm_notify, called from the nfsboot service is a replacement for statd?

- Nick

--
Nick Sonneveld  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
IT Resources, University of Tasmania, Private Bag 69, Hobart Tas 7001